Relieve Dad’s Aching Back for Father’s Day!
Dad works hard all year round to provide for you and give you the best. Why not give him a non-traditional gift to make him feel better, even if for only one day of the year? Here are some ideas on how to give Dad a break on his day, and help prevent backaches in the future!
What causes back pain?
Experts say back pain is more common than we think. 95% of the time it is not serious or permanent, especially lower back pain. Prevention is the first key to avoiding back pain, and if you are experiencing backaches treatment is also recommended.
Tips to Avoid Back Pain
After 45 years of age, certain chores are bound to cause pain more than in our younger years. Here are some particular things to avoid if you want to avoid a back injury:
- Lifting – Get the younger people in your life to lift anything heavy, especially furniture. As we age, lifting heavy items are one of the leading causes of back injuries!
- Raking or Shoveling – Raking leaves, shoveling snow, and yard work overall are a big contributor to lower back pain. Hire a service or teenager to do these chores.
- Don’t work through it – If you already are experiencing back pain, give it a rest! Working through the pain and ignoring your body signals will not help matters, it will surely make it worse!
If your insurance allows it, a professional physical therapist or Chiropractor can help treat chronic back pain. According to experts, if your pain has not subsided after a week of home treatment, you should consult a physician.
Here are some things to try on your own, and some worthwhile purchases (or gift ideas for Dad) for backache treatment:
- Anti-inflammatories – Medicine like Ibuprofen or Naproxen taken for a few days help reduce swelling and corresponding back pain.
- Heating Pads or Ice Packs – Experts say some patients find relief through either icing or heat application to the painful area. Some say to alternate both, 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.
- Stretching and Exercises – Using particular movements can help stretch muscles in a specific manner to alleviate pain. Always check with your physician before trying any, you don’t want to do more harm than good!
- Acupuncture or massage therapy – Some people swear by both of these treatments for any type of chronic pain, a gift certificate for Dad may be just what he needs for Father’s Day!
- Back pillows, chair cushions and recliners – There are so many products on the market to help with positioning to alleviate back pain, but be sure to check the Doctor recommendations and warranty before trying them!
Why not give the best gift of all this Father’s Day by purchasing a PILLOW of HEALTH? You could try the Versatile Lumbar PIllow for just $15 and free shipping! This pillow is designed to provide comfort and support whenever you need it, and it’s perfect support for driving or sitting. Or check out our Self-Adjusting King Pillow for Dad to sleep on!
PILLOW of HEALTH comes highly recommended. Just read our Customer Testimonials for reasons why the PILLOW of HEALTH is the best gift around! Or listen to Dr. Jason Jones, Doctor of Chiropractic, who states “There are several reasons why I recommend the PILLOW of HEALTH. I love the adjustability. The fact that a person can take the pillow and make it exactly what they need I think is key.”
Father’s day is on June 17th and fast-approaching! Use promo code DadsDay on any PILLOW of HEALTH purchase over $50, and we will include a Lumbar Pillow for free to make Dad’s day complete! Hurry, offer expires on June 20th!